Friday, February 9, 2007

"St.Arbucks"








Often while enjoying the atmosphere of a nice coffeeshop I am tugged from the vulgar up to the beautiful, from the trivial to the profound, and away from that which is profane up to that which is sacred.


The coffeeshop atmosphere often feels like a sanctuary to me in which there is a real sense of koinonia (fellowship and friendship). Matthew, a twenty-four year-old Starbucks barrista, asked me, "Are you the priest for our Starbucks here..?" I replied, "Yes, this is my parish and my ministry is called, "St.Arbucks."

'St.Arbucks'(TM) became, that day in 2001, the name of what I do in coffeeshops--which is mainly drink coffee, draw cartoons, research the Net, and do TeleCoaching with my life coaching clients online--but also people-watch and meet interesting folks...!

Some of the friends I've made are from places like Armenia, Lebanon, Iran , and India.

Three are from India--two men and a woman--one of the men and the woman, converts from Hinduism to Christianity. The beautiful woman, whom I met in Burgess Hill, Sussex, England, was a Brahman and told me she had been disowned by her family when she became a Christian.

The other gentleman is a Muslim from near Kashmir, loves my art, and after I gave him a signed print of my Preservation Hall Jazz painting, brought me a box of fine cigars!

After enjoying fellowship with the two who were former Hindus, I was inspired (hearing the tribulations and trials of those caught up in the traditions of Eastern Mysticism) to write this comical piece of verse on a coffeeshop serviette.

THAT--WHY KRISHNA CRACK UP

Can't hear sound of one hand clapping,

Then reincarnation ruin my napping:

Can't see return like fly for slapping:

That--why Krishna crack up!

Can't find contentment with Om-Om-Om,

Then get upstage by Man from Rome;

Can't get answer when I call home:

That--why Krishna crack up!

Can't figure out chant for Nirvana;

Then guru poach my marijuana;

Can't forget girl name Donna:

That--why Krishna crack up!

Can't guess spelling of transcendental,

Then déjà vu make me tempermental;

Can't find market for cosmic rental:

That--why Krishna crack up!

Can't heal wart from Ganges dipping,

Then my cobra start to nipping;

Can't keep bed of nails from ripping:

That--why Krishna crack up!

Can't stand bull dung in my hair,

Then pagan gods laughing at my prayer;

Can't get good karma anywhere:

That--why Krishna crack up!

Can't pry window to Eternal Now,

Then someone barbecue sacred cow;

Can't find Why of life-or How:

That--why Krishna crack up...
_________________________________________
Copyright © 2003-2008 by Philip C. Brewer

No comments: