Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Splice of Life


This is the fantastic flood wall facing the Ohio River in Paducah, Kentucky. Beautiful murals adorn this wall in Lowertown, the part of Paducah nearest the river, where some 60 artists have established a model for inner city restoration anywhere. Old houses and buildings have been (hosted by the city fathers) renovated into art studios, living spaces, and gallerys open to the public. The Paducah Arts Program is gaining national attention. I spent a week there in 2006 and met many fine artists who graciously welcomed me (and invited me to their wine and cheese tastings).


My dear friend, Earl Templeman and I are enjoying a steak dinner in the highest town in America, Leadville, Colorado--over 10,000 feet elevation (I could feel my arteries hardening). Earl is a gifted biblical dramatist--tutored by Charlton Heston's personal trainer, Ralph Rogers. Earl's powerful presentations include The Apostle Paul, John the Revelator, the Psalmist David, and the Prophet Isaiah.


Years ago, I scribbled this 'mirror poem' on a coffeeshop serviette:

The Splice of Life

Apartness
Is a lonesome state,
So, gregarious creatures
Congregate
To avoid the void of it.

Though togetherness
May accentuate
Nefarious features
Of associates
No joy's devoid of it.

--P.C. Brewer

1 comment:

beknme said...

This is wonderful Phil! As a Word Master with an understanding that goes far beyond simple meaning and origin-equal to the great poets from history that we all love, you hold the ability to reach Masters and Servants alike. Thank you! I appreciate your contributions to our lives!